George is a Partner in Thomas Cooper’s International Trade and Commodities Group. He is an expert in the resolution of disputes within the commodities sector relating to oil and gas, metals & mining and soft commodities/agribusiness. George’s expertise extends to the resolution of disputes in the English courts and under international arbitration rules (including those of the ICC, UNCITRAL and the LCIA) and trade arbitration rules (including those of FOSFA, GAFTA and SAL). He also advises clients in relation to non-contentious, regulatory and compliance issues.
George has advised national oil companies, international trading companies and other clients across the supply chain in relation to disputes arising from drilling rig and FPSO contracts, sale and purchase agreements, and commercial & agency contracts. He frequently deals with non-payment, breach of warranty claims, quality and condition issues and many other contentious matters.
George has spent six months seconded to the in-house legal department of Shell International in London. He has spoken on a number of occasions in the Netherlands, Russia, Switzerland, Turkey and the UK about commodities, law of the sea, oil and gas and arbitration generally.
- Advising a global gas trading company on a high value quality and condition claim.
- Advising a global soft commodities trading company on a $12m sugar claim.
- Advising a number of trading companies in relation to contractual issues arising from the trade of sugar, grain, and other soft commodities.
- Advising a steel trading company in relation to Swedish ad hoc arbitration proceedings against its counterparty.
- Advising a global metals and mining company on disputes, regulatory and contractual matters.
- Advising a national oil company on a circa $40m breach of warranty claim relating to a Share Purchase Agreement and associated proceedings.
- Advising a national oil company on a circa US$150m Drilling Services Agreement and counterclaim and associated proceedings.
- Advising a national oil company on a circa US$100m breach of warranty claim relating to a Farm-In Agreement and associated proceedings.
- Advising a multinational corporation on an offshore pipeline dispute which settled successfully following mediation.
- Advising a global trading company in relation to oil and gas disputes including the conclusion of successful UNCITRAL proceedings culminating with two Awards in the region of $50 million each.
George joined Thomas Cooper as a Partner in 2018. He was previously a Legal Director at Clyde & Co. George qualified as a solicitor in 2003 at DJ Freeman/Kendall Freeman which later merged with Edwards Angell Palmer & Dodge.
George has served on numerous occasions as an Honorary Legal Adviser at the Royal Courts of Justice CAB on a pro bono basis.
- Law Society of England & Wales