Our Fraud team brings together our in-depth insight into the shipping, trade and banking industries and our expertise in commercial litigation and arbitration, with more than a decade of experience assisting international corporate clients unravelling and successfully dealing with high value, sophisticated and complex commercial fraud and conspiracies.
The Fraud team provides advice and representation in the following key areas:
- Wrongful interference with business
- Sham agreements and forged instruments or documents
- Pecuniary loss
- Bribery, corruption or money laundering
- Freezing orders, search orders, orders for delivery up and other relevant orders and injunctions.
Examples of types of cases undertaken:
- A multimillion-euro commodities fraud and unlawful means conspiracy matter involving deceit and sham contracts;
- Acted for a large shipping company in an unlawful means conspiracy matter involving allegations of back-dated agreement;
- Acted for a P&I club in a matter involving allegations of bribery;
- Acted for a major bank in a USD500 million multijurisdictional trade finance fraud matter; and,
- Acted against a bank in a matter involving a substantial fraudulent sale of derivatives.
In addition, the team has given various talks and general advices to banks, trading companies and shipowners on forged bills of lading, fraudulent presentations under letters of credit and frauds on banks.