Our Energy and Offshore practice encompasses a wide range of disputes including complex high-value joint venture litigation, offshore casualties, and regulatory and planning disputes. We are recognised advisors to oil majors and to the offshore industry.
We act for a broad spectrum of companies engaged in the offshore industry including oil majors, insurers and reinsurers and shipowners to offshore contractors and consultants, rig owners and other offshore installations.
Our team has undertaken leading cases and have acted for major oil companies in the Supreme Court. We are experts in running high value and complex commercial litigation cases before the English Courts and in arbitration. Our expertise includes disputes relating to:
- Drilling contracts
- Joint Operating Agreements
- Joint Venture Agreements
As experts in the energy and offshore sector, our recent work includes:
- Advising on contracts frequently used in the offshore/energy markets including BIMCO and Crine-Logic contracts.
- Acting for a major Norwegian seismic survey company concerning the loss of a seismic streamer.
- Acting for a shipowner in relation to the investigation and public enquiry in the UK and Norway following the loss of “BOURBON DOLPHIN” disaster/public enquiry in 2007.
- Acting for a number of UK and International owners of offshore and seismic survey companies in relation to contractual disputes.
- Regularly advising the largest South American oil company in a variety of matters concerning contracts for offshore craft with dynamic positioning capabilities.
- Acting in a series of cases involving disputes between drilling contractors and operators involving the breakdown of a drilling rig and delay of drilling operations.
- Acting in the High court in relation to the decommissioning of an oil field and disputes resulting from the tripartite decommissioning security agreement.
- Negotiating Welcar insurance for offshore operational and construction risks for an oil major.
- Involvement in acting for the liability insurers of the tug against two Middle Eastern oil companies in relation to the tug’s collision with an offshore platform resulting in the total loss of the platform and the closure of four wells.
- Advising London insurers on coverage relating to a substantial claim under a marine project cargo policy arising out of serious damage to a project cargo while in transit to the site in Saudi Arabia.
- Acting for international reinsurers on multi-jurisdictional issues and increase in costs of working issues in a Delay in Start-up claim arising from a Construction All Risks Policy of pipeline construction project in Colombia relating to failure of drilling equipment. Advice on coverage issues relating to exclusions of design defects and settlement options.
- Acting for Far East insurers in relation to Welcar claim concerning interpretation of exclusion to existing property and buy-back extension of coverage contained in the “Damage to Existing and/or Surrounding Property Clause”.
Our service is underpinned by mutual trust and respect, which we seek to foster by the provision of practical and effective advice in this fast moving energy sector.