Shipping Focus – Autumn 2014
Welcome to the Autumn 2014 edition of Shipping Focus, the e-update from Thomas Cooper’s Shipping Group, in which you can review the latest legal developments in your area of shipping and keep up to date with Thomas Cooper’s news and forthcoming events.
Click here to view Shipping Focus in your browser, otherwise click below to view each article/update separately;
- “Functus officio” and section 67 of the Arbitration Act 1966
- Mediation: What are your expectations?
- The Maritime Labour Convention 2006 (the “MLC 2006”) – A Shield for seafarers or a sword against ship owners?
- Fair stood the wind for France – or at least a change of direction has taken place on bunker arrests there
- Commercial Court construes GA security as “on-demand guarantee” triggered by issue of adjustment
THOMAS COOPER NEWS
- Head of our Madrid office, Juan Alegre assisted by solicitor Anna Brownrigg won the case concerning the scope of relief that may be granted by the Companies Court upon recognition of foreign insolvency proceedings. Companies Court ruled on the interplay between cross-border insolvency and the English rules of private international law. Click here to read more
THOMAS COOPER EVENTS
- Istanbul Seminar – Thursday 27th November 2014
Thomas Cooper will again be hosting the 2014 Shipping update seminar in Istanbul. Look out for the e-invite which will be circulated in early October.
- Brazilian Reinsurance Roundtable – Monday, 15 September 2014 at Ibex House from 17.30 – 18.30 pm
Thomas Cooper LLP in association with Kincaid | Mendes Vianna Advogados will be co-hosting a Brazilian Business Interruption Reinsurance Roundtable which will focus on common issues to large energy, property (including business interruption), marine and construction losses in Brazil in view of the relevant contractual features in Brazilian insurance and reinsurance contracts. Click here for more information.
- Brazilian Marine Casualty Roundtable – Tuesday, 16 September 2014 at Ibex House from 17.30 – 18.30 pm.
Thomas Cooper LLP in association with Kincaid | Mendes Vianna Advogados are co-hosting a Brazilian Marine Casualty Roundtable which will focus on the legal exposure of marine casualties in Brazil, drawing from a hypothetical collision scenario between a support vessel and a fixed offshore platform. Click here for more information.
- Grant Eldred key speaker at 2014 IFA Conference speaking on Sanctions – 12 September 2014
Grant Eldred, Head of the Finance, will again be addressing the IFA’s annual conference this year. At last year’s annual conference Grant spoke generally about sanctions regimes around the World and their legal impact on global trade finance. This year he will concentrate on the two sanctions regimes which are having the greatest impact on our members (i) Russia and (ii) Iran.