Shipping Focus – Winter 2013
Welcome to the Winter 2013 edition of Shipping Focus, the e-update from Thomas Cooper’s Shipping Group, in which you can review the latest legal developments in your area of shipping and keep up to date with Thomas Cooper’s news and forthcoming events. Please click on each topic below to read the articles in full:
- Effective transfer of responsibility for stowage from a contractual carrier under a bill of lading
- Update: the spanish tax lease scheme and the return of state aids
- The “Athena”: Reversal of the commercial court’s interpretation of clause 15 hype 46
- Charterer’s breach of safe port warranty results in $138m
Thomas Cooper News
Douglas Bateson, George Lambrou, Ioanna Vitta, Mark Sachs and Johan Wong will all be featured as ‘leaders in their field’ in the latest 2014 edition.
Legal Directory, Chambers Global have identified the Thomas Cooper international partners who have been ranked following in depth research and interviews from clients and their peers as to their expertise, response and availability.
Thomas Cooper are pleased to be supporting Plan International charity
This Christmas, we are pleased to be supporting Plan International charity which which promotes and protects international child rights in lieu of sending Christmas Cards this year. To view Plan International’s Philippines Typhoon Haiyan appeal please click on the following link Philippines Typhoon appeal.
Thomas Cooper Seminars
- Thomas Cooper’s Brazilian team, Juan Alegre, Celso de Azevedo and Richard Hawkins hosted a seminar on 5 November 2013 in conjunction with Martin Faller of Cunningham Lindsey. The seminar took place in Sao Paulo office and focused on Reinsurance issues in the London and Brazilian markets.
- Thomas Cooper in association with Zelle Hofmann co-hosted a Power and Utilities Business Interruption Insurance Roundtable which was held on 3 December 2013. The roundtable focused on the new LMA BI Wordings. For more information about this topic, please contact Ben Browne or Celso de Azevedo.
- The Thomas Cooper Piraeus Shipping team hosted this year’s Shipping Industry Update seminar in Istanbul in November. The speakers discussed and provided an update on practical points of “What you need to know About English Law”. The speakers and topics included Douglas Bateson (Dangerous / Group A Cargoes), Ioanna Vitta (Early Redelivery under the contract – What’s next?), George Lambrou (Respondents’ Tricks to Delay International Arbitration) and Arwinder Dhillon (Thinking Outside the Box – Rejected Cargo). The seminar was attended by over 120 delegates.
- Thomas Cooper and The World Tourism Organisation co-hosted a Conference on Tourism, Liability and Insurance which was held on 10 December 2013 in the World Tourism headquarters in Spain. The conference covered a brief analysis of the current situation of tourism in Spain and prospects, the Role of the World Tourism Organisation and the public law of tourism in Spain. The legislative fragmentation in Spain and Market Unit Law, the liability regime of the tour operator and the insurance of tourism risks. The Thomas Cooper speakers were Juan Alegre, Ann Marsden, Ernesto Rivera, Enrique Navarro and Javier Hernández Valenciano.